Lenox, Massachusetts is a small town located in Berkshire County and is a part of the Pittsfield, Massachusetts Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population of Lenox was 5,025 as of the 2010 census. The town is situated in the scenic Berkshire Mountains and has a humid continental climate with hot summers and cold winters.
Lenox has a rich history that dates back to 1767 when it was officially incorporated as a town. It was home to many prominent historical figures including James Fenimore Cooper, William Cullen Bryant, and Herman Melville who lived in Lenox during the 19th century. In addition to these famous authors, Lenox was also home to several well-known musicians including Duke Ellington, Leonard Bernstein, and Artie Shaw who frequented the area during its heyday in the 1930s.
Politically speaking, Lenox is represented by State Senator Adam Hinds in the Massachusetts Senate and State Representative William “Smitty” Pignatelli in the Massachusetts House of Representatives. The town has an open town meeting form of government which allows all registered voters to participate in local decision making processes.
The economy of Lenox is driven largely by tourism which makes up a large portion of its tax revenue base. The area boasts numerous attractions such as Tanglewood Music Center (the summer home for Boston Symphony Orchestra), Shakespeare & Company (a professional theater company), and Edith Wharton’s estate (one of America’s most famous authors).
Lenox Public Schools serves students from pre-kindergarten through grade 12 with five elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. There are also several private schools located within the town limits including St Anne’s Academy (a Catholic school) and Miss Hall’s School (an independent college preparatory school for girls).
Some popular landmarks located within Lenox include Ventfort Hall Mansion & Gilded Age Museum which houses an extensive collection of artifacts from America’s Gilded Age; Naumkeag House & Gardens which features stunning views from atop its terrace; and Arrowhead Museum which celebrates author Herman Melville’s life at his former home in Pittsfield.
Population: 5,077. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,156 (+1.6% change)
Males: 2,322 (45.7%), Females: 2,755 (54.3%)
Median resident age: 45.9 years
Median household income: $45,581
Median house value: $177,700
Races in Lenox:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.0%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Black (1.3%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (19.8%), English (16.7%), Italian (13.0%), German (10.3%), French (8.6%), Polish (5.0%).
Elevation: 1200 feet
Land area: 1.8 square miles
Lenox, Massachusetts is a small town located in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts. It has a population of just over 5,000 people and is known for its picturesque countryside and rural charm. The median household income in Lenox is $50,000, while the median home value is $322,800. The cost of living in Lenox is slightly higher than the national average but still manageable. Groceries, housing, and utilities are all slightly more expensive than other parts of the country. However, there are plenty of services available to help cover these costs if needed. Public transportation is also available in Lenox which makes it easy to get around town without having to own a car. There are several restaurants and shops located throughout the town as well as numerous outdoor activities for those looking for something to do in their free time. Lenox also hosts many cultural events throughout the year such as concerts and plays at various local venues. All in all, Lenox provides an excellent quality of life with plenty of options for entertainment and relaxation without breaking the bank.
For population 25 years and over in Lenox
- High school or higher: 92.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 47.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 21.9%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lenox town
- Never married: 19.8%
- Now married: 58.3%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 10.6%
- Divorced: 9.7%
7.9% Foreign born (4.3% Europe, 2.0% Latin America, 1.0% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Lenox:
- BERKSHIRE MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 7 miles; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- FAIRVIEW HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA)
- NORTH ADAMS REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lenox:
- BARNES MUNI (about 43 miles; WESTFIELD/SPRINGFIELD, MA; Abbreviation: BAF)
- ALBANY INTL (about 45 miles; ALBANY, NY; Abbreviation: ALB)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 52 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; Abbreviation: BDL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lenox:
- PITTSFIELD MUNI (about 5 miles; PITTSFIELD, MA; Abbreviation: PSF)
- GREAT BARRINGTON (about 15 miles; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Abbreviation: GBR)
- HARRIMAN-AND-WEST (about 24 miles; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Abbreviation: AQW)
Amtrak station near Lenox:
- 7 miles: PITTSFIELD (DEPOT ST. BTW NORTH & CENTER STS.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Massachusetts graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lenox:
- WILLIAMS COLLEGE (about 24 miles; WILLIAMSTOWN, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,047)
- WESTFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 33 miles; WESTFIELD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 4,058)
- RENSSELAER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE (about 37 miles; TROY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 7,150)
- HUDSON VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; TROY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 6,337)
- SIENA COLLEGE (about 42 miles; LOUDONVILLE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,001)
- EXCELSIOR COLLEGE (about 44 miles; ALBANY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 7,096)
- THE COLLEGE OF SAINT ROSE (about 44 miles; ALBANY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,116)
Public primary/middle schools in Lenox:
- LENOX MEMORIAL HIGH (Students: 472; Location: 197 EAST STREET; Grades: 06 – 12)
- MORRIS (Students: 359; Location: 129 WEST STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Lenox:
- BERKSHIRE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL (Students: 312; Location: PO BOX 867; Grades: PK – 9)
- VALLEYHEAD INC (Students: 48; Location: P O BOX 714; Grades: UG – UG; Girls only)
- BERKSHIRE COUNTY CHRISTIAN SCH (Students: 36; Location: PO BOX 1980; Grades: KG – 6)
Library in Lenox:
- LENOX LIBRARY ASSOCIATION (Operating income: $622,839; Location: 18 MAIN ST.; 67,289 books; 7,274 audio materials; 1,656 video materials; 139 serial subscriptions)