Wales Travel Information

Formalities, visas

As Wales is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland, the rules of Great Britain apply here. The diplomatic missions are also those of Great Britain.

German and Austrian citizens need a passport or identity card to enter Great Britain – and thus also to Wales. A minimum validity of the passport or identity card is not required. Entry is also possible with a temporary identity card. The German child ID card is recognized without a photo up to the age of 10, with a photo up to the age of 16. In addition, the entry of the child in a parent’s passport is sufficient to enter the UK. There are no special regulations for minors traveling alone or when traveling with only one parent who has custody. Particular care should be taken with hitchhikers as they aid illegal entry into the UK with prison terms of up to 10 years and a £ 2 fine.

In the light of the London terrorist attacks, it is also advisable to inquire about the current security situation at the British Foreign Office or the Metropolitan Police if you plan to travel. England or Great Britain has not yet joined the Schengen Agreement. Regular checks are therefore still carried out at the border crossings.

Foreign currency
import and export There is no restriction on the import and export of foreign currency in Great Britain for personal use.

Departure fee
There is no fee for leaving Great Britain.

Goods import and export
The following articles can be imported into England duty-free (when entering from non-EU countries):

  • 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250 g of tobacco
  • 2 l table wine
  • 1 l of spirits over 22% or 2 l of alcoholic beverages up to 22% alcohol or 2 l of sparkling/liqueur wines
  • 60 ml perfume and 250 ml eau de toilette
  • Goods up to a value of £ 145

The import and export of drugs, pornographic material, weapons, ammunition or explosives is strictly prohibited. This also applies to some weapons that can be legally purchased in Germany, such as CS gas spray cans, blank guns, knives with fixed blades or snap knives with blades longer than 7 cm. The import and export of plants and animals protected under the Washington Species Protection Act is also strictly prohibited.

Traveling with pets

Since the year 2000, relaxed regulations apply to the entry of animals into Great Britain. Since then it is no longer necessary to quarantine the animal for a longer period of time. However, some conditions must be met for these new regulations to take effect. The so-called Pet Travel Scheme (PETS, in German: Pet Travel Regulation) applies to entry. This means that the animal:
1.) was microchipped
2.) was vaccinated against rabies and
3.) was tested negative for rabies antibodies. For this antibody test to be valid, it must be done six months before entering the UK. In addition, the animal must not have entered any non-EU countries six months before entry.

In addition, treatment against ticks and tapeworms must have been carried out before the animal can enter the country. These treatments must be carried out between 48 hours and 24 hours prior to entry by a UK approved transport company. All examinations and vaccinations must be entered in the EU pet passports. This can be issued by any resident veterinarian.

These regulations apply to all dogs, cats and other small animals. However, the following dog types are excluded from this: Pitbull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentina and Fila Braziliero. These types of dogs are not allowed to enter the UK under any circumstances.

Wales: Travel Medicine and Warnings

Infectious Diseases

Infectious diseases that do not occur in Germany, Austria or Switzerland are not to be expected in Wales. However, as in other countries, caution is advised:

  • Amoebic dysentery
  • Bacterial agitation
  • Lyme disease, as a result of tick bites
  • Cholera, a very low risk of infection, exists only for travelers who can come into contact with polluted water or contaminated food.
  • Intestinal infections from contaminated food (eggs) or contaminated water, including amoebas, lamblia, salmonella, shigella and worm infestation as well as all kinds of viruses and bacteria
  • Early summer meningo encephalitis, mainly as a result of tick bites
  • Hepatitis A and B, an infection with hepatitis B, is only possible in people who can come into contact with blood or those who seek sexual contact
  • Polio, polio, the risk of infection is almost impossible
  • tetanus
  • rabies
  • Typhoid, there is practically no risk of infection

Vaccination recommendations When traveling to Wales, the same vaccinations are recommended as in Germany, Austria and Switzerland:

  • Cholera, but only among travelers who can come into contact with polluted water or contaminated food
  • Diphtheria, a vaccination against diphtheria should always exist, also in the home country
  • Hepatitis A and B, vaccination against hepatitis B, is only required for people who may come into contact with blood or who are looking for sexual contact.
  • Polio, polio, a vaccination against polio should always exist, also in the home country
  • Meningococcal meningitis
  • Tetanus, a vaccination against the almost always fatal tetanus infection, should always exist, also in the home country

Compulsory vaccination
There are no vaccination requirements when entering or staying in Wales or Great Britain.

Hazards and current warning notices

Foreign Office (AA) of the Federal Republic of Germany
Citizens’ Service
Telephone: 0049 – (0) 30 – 5000 – 2000

Wales Travel Information