Winter sports enthusiasts should visit Slovakia between December and March. Summer vacationers particularly like to come in the warm months of July and August. But June and September in Slovakia are also attractive: it is warm, the rainfall is not too high and there are fewer holidaymakers on the way.
According to andyeducation, city tours and cultural trips are possible in Slovakia all year round.
Slovakia – key data
Area: 49,035 km² (of which land: 48,105 km², water: 930 km²)
Population: 5.5 million (July 2011 estimate, CIA). Composition: Slovaks 85.8%,Hungary 9.7%, Roma 1.7%, Ukrainians 1%, others and no information provided 1.8% (2001 census).
Population density: 112 residents per km²
Population growth: 0.117% per year (2011, CIA)
Capital: Bratislava (426,927 residents, December 2007)
Highest point: Gerlachovsky Stit ( Gerlsdorfer Spitze), 2,655 m
Lowest point: Bodrok River, 94 m
Form of government: Slovakia has been a republic since 1993. The Slovak constitution dates from the same year, the last constitutional amendment was made in 2001. The Slovak parliament, the National Council, consists of 150 members. Slovakia peacefully separated from the Czech Republic on January 1, 1993 and has been independent since then. Since May 1, 2004 Slovakia has been a member of European Union.
Administrative division: 8 landscape associations (kraj, plural: kraje): Banskobystricky, Bratislavsky, Kosicky, Nitriansky, Presovsky, Trenciansky, Trnavsky and Zilinsky
Head of State: President Ivan Gašparovi ?, since June 15, 2004
Head of Government: Prime Minister Robert Fico, since April 4, 2012
Language: the official language in Slovakia is Slovak (83.9%), Hungarian 10.7%, Roma 1.8%, Ukrainian 1%, other or no answer 2.6% (2001 census). Slovaks who also speak German or English are almost only found in larger cities.
Religion: Roman Catholic 68.9%, Protestants 10.8%, Greek Orthodox 4% (especially in the east of the country), other or no information 3.2%, no religion 13% (2001 census)
Local time: CET. Between the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October there is summer time in Slovakia (CET + 1 hour).
The time difference to Central Europe is 0 h in both winter and summer.
International phone code: +421
Mains voltage: 220 V, 50 Hz
Prešov [ prε ʃ ɔ ], German Presov, also Eperies, Hungarian Eperjes [-jε ʃ ], a town in the east of the Slovak Republic, administrative center of the Prešov district, 257 meters above sea level, at the Torysa, north of Košice, (2018) 88 700 residents.
Cultural center of the Ukrainian minority; Greek Catholic Archbishop’s Seat; Greek Catholic Theological Faculty of the University of Košice and Orthodox Theological Faculty, several museums, art gallery; Electrical device and mechanical engineering (precision machines), building materials, clothing and food industries, printing industry; Airfield.
The Catholic Nikolauskirche from 1347 was expanded with richly figured vaults in the 15th century (completed in 1515); Wall paintings (15th – 17th centuries). The Protestant church (16th century) is decorated with rococo decorations. On the main square the palatial Rákoczy house (today a museum) and others. Renaissance style houses. The former salt works in Prešov-Solivar (16th – 18th centuries) is now an open-air museum.
Prešov, founded around 1200 by German settlers on the trade route from Poland to Hungary (first documented in 1247, town charter since 1299), became a royal free town in 1374 and belonged to Hungary as Eperjes until 1919.
During the Great Turkish War (1683–99), under the chairmanship of the imperial field marshal A. Carafa, the Eperies blood court against Kuruzen and others took place here in 1687. Supporter of the Hungarian freedom fighter I. Tökölys.
Žilina [ ʒ -], German Zilina [z ɪ la ɪ n, z ɪ la ɪ n], Hungarian Zsolna [ ʒ oln ɔ ], city in western Slovakia, the administrative center of the district Žilina, in the Apuseni Mountains of the middle Waag (Váh), (2018) 80 800 residents.
Catholic bishopric; University, conservatory; Machine and automobile construction, textile, furniture, paper and chemical industries; Traffic junction at the southern end of the rail and road connection over the Jablunkapass; Airfield.
Parish church (renewed around 1400) with an additional free-standing bell tower (1540). On the medieval market square, one-story houses with arcades and the Jesuit monastery with church (1743). Renaissance town houses; baroque Franciscan church (1723–30); former synagogue based on plans by P. Behrens (1934; today university). In the former Budatín moated castle (13th, 16th and 18th centuries) the Waag Museum. In the suburb of Závodie, the Romanesque fortified church of St. Stephen (13th century) with frescoes.
Žilina was founded as a royal Hungarian free city at the beginning of the 13th century.
Košice [ k ɔ ʃ itsε], German Kassa, Hungarian Kassa [ k ɔ ʃ ʃ ɔ ], city in eastern Slovakia, the administrative center of the district Košice, the Hornád at the eastern edge of the Slovak Ore Mountains, (2018) 238 800 residents.
Constitutional Court; Catholic Archbishop’s See and Greek Catholic Bishop’s See; University (founded in 1959), Technical University, Veterinary University and other colleges; together with Marseille (France) European Capital of Culture 2013; State Theater, Roma Theater, Philharmonic, Technical Museum, East Slovak Museum, Planetarium. Košice is one of the most important centers of the Slovak heavy industry, in particular the iron and steel industry (formerly East Slovak steel works), machine and industrial plant construction, as well as building materials (Slovak magnesite works), food and electronic industries; stabilization as an industrial location after a severe structural crisis during the 1990s and foreign direct investment; Airport.
Parts of the city fortifications begun in the 13th century have been preserved. The Cathedral of St. Elisabeth was built in 1390 ff. Instead of a Romanesque predecessor building, late Gothic high choir with reticulated vaults (1504-08); valuable equipment, including late Gothic high altar with panel paintings from the life of St. Elisabeth (1474-77). Other buildings: Gothic St. Michael’s Chapel (second half of the 14th century), early Baroque Premonstratensian Church (built as a Jesuit church from 1671–84), Franciscan Church (early 15th century, rebuilt in Baroque style); Dominican Church (originally before 1300, changed in Baroque style in the 17th century); late Gothic Levoča house and Nikolaus tower (15th century, former dungeon), Rákoczi house (rebuilt in 1653, today Technical Museum), late baroque aristocratic palaces as well as classicist (including former town hall, 1782) and historicist buildings (East Slovak National Theater, 1897–99).
Košice, mentioned as a town in 1241 and as a royal Hungarian town in 1290, was an important trading center in the Middle Ages (on the trade route to Poland) and the capital of old Northern Hungary. In the 17th century it was expanded into a fortress against the Ottomans. In 1921 Košice came to Czechoslovakia, 1938 to Hungary and 1945 again to Czechoslovakia.
On April 5, 1945, the government program of the new Czechoslovakia (“Kaschau Program”) was announced here.